When it comes to choosing roof materials, there are several great options available to you including metal. Whether you are installing a roof on a new home or replacing an old, damaged roof, you may want to consider metal roofing. Pro Roofing NW has installed many of the latest metal roofing systems on homes and businesses all over the Seattle area, and we can help you, too. From selecting the right metal roofing system to providing expert roof installation, we treat every roof like it's our own.
Why Consider Installing a Metal Roof?
Some of the benefits of a metal roof include:
- Metal shingles last much longer than asphalt or wood shingles, and can last a lifetime with professional installation and maintenance.
- Metal roofs are designed to rapidly shed water, a useful trait in the rainy Seattle area.
- The rain-shedding ability of metal shingles also extends to snow buildup, avoiding moisture buildup and clogging.
- Metal roofs are highly resistant to wind damage, preserving the like-new appearance of the roof over time.
- Metal roofs have built-in fire resistance due to the non-flammable shingles.
- Surprisingly lightweight, a metal roof can be installed on top of the current roofing system.
When people think about metal roofing in Western Washington, they most often assume that it looks like plain sheet metal. Although sheet metal roofs have their own aesthetic appeal, they aren’t for everybody. What home and business owners may not know is that there are now many metal roofing systems that look like shingles.
Environmental Benefits of Metal Roofing
Aside from its durability and aesthetic appeal, metal roofing also offers several environmental benefits that make it an eco-friendly choice for homeowners and businesses alike. Here are some of the ways metal roofing can help reduce your environmental impact:
- Recyclability: Metal roofing is 100% recyclable, meaning it can be reused indefinitely without losing its quality or performance. This reduces waste in landfills and conserves natural resources.
- Energy Efficiency: Metal roofing reflects sunlight and heat, reducing the amount of energy needed to cool your home or building. This can lead to lower energy bills and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Longevity: Metal roofing can last up to 50 years or more, compared to traditional asphalt shingles which typically need to be replaced every 15-20 years. This means fewer materials being used and less waste generated over time.
- Reduced Heat Island Effect: Metal roofing can help reduce the "heat island effect" in urban areas by reflecting heat away from buildings and reducing the overall temperature in the surrounding environment.
At Pro Roofing NW, we are committed to providing sustainable roofing solutions that benefit both our customers and the environment.
Are There Any Downsides to a Metal Roof?
If it's time to replace your roof, Pro Roofing NW can help you make the best decision for your home. While metal roofing has many advantages, there are also downsides to installing this type of roofing system.
Potential reasons why metal roofing may not be right for you:
- While long-lasting, metal roofs are pricier for the initial install, typically twice the price of asphalt roofs.
- Unshielded metal roofs are noisier under rainfall than other roofing options.
- If a metal roof is painted, the color will need to be occasionally re-applied.
To help with your decision, contact Pro Roofing NW. You can talk to a representative, and we can send out one of our mobile showrooms and see the variety of metal roofing available to you. We can also assess your roof for metal vs. other options and discuss with you the various factors involved for your home. We’ll even provide complimentary estimates on any of your roofing options.
Are Metal Roofs Safe in Storms?
One of the most common myths about metal roofing in the Seattle area is that it’s dangerous during storms. Some believe that lightning will strike the metal and start a fire or damage the home. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth. The fireproof metal disperses the electric energy and keeps the interior of your home safe. And because of the durability of the metal, the roof can withstand damage from inclement weather like hail, wind, rust, and snow, generally without need for repairs even when other roofs need it.
Can Metal Roof Tiles Be Installed Over Shingles?
For most Western Washington homes, metal roofs can be installed over shingles providing it’s up to building codes. This can help prevent the messiness that comes with tearing out existing shingles. Professional and experienced metal roof installers are recommended to prevent mold and rot from vapor getting trapped between the metal roofing and the older roof beneath.
Whichever type of roof you decide is right for you, you’ll want the top experts in the area to install it for you. In King County, Pierce County and Snohomish County, Pro Roofing NW has award-winning craftsmen who take the time to do it right. We even stand behind our work with a Lifetime Craftsmanship Warranty to give you the peace of mind you deserve.
“Pro Roofing was excellent from start to finish.” - Anonymous