Gutter cleaning is a commonly neglected home maintenance task, and one that homeowners rarely look forward to. However, clean gutters are integral to keeping your home free of standing water, excess debris and other materials that can potentially cause damage from your roof to your home’s exterior and right on down to the foundation itself.
This is particularly important in the Seattle area where tall trees drop leaves and pine needles into gutters, and the light but consistent rainfall isn’t strong enough to clear the excess debris. Left alone, this problem can damage the foundation of your house.
Gutters perform a simple collecting rainwater from the roof and funnel it away from the foundation of your home via downspouts. When clogged, those gutters and downspouts can overflow onto your roof and into your foundation, risking leaks as well as mold. In our rainy Pacific Northwest climate, that same rain that keeps our landscape lush and verdant also causes our gutters to work overtime.
Gutter cleaning is dirty and can be time-consuming depending on how large the home is or how dirty the gutters are, but avoiding regular gutter service now can result in water damage leading to costly roof and gutter repair later. Gutter protection is part of overall home protection.
Leave Gutter Cleaning the Professionals
Cleaning gutters is a home maintenance job that is not for the faint of heart. It’s physically demanding and needs someone who is comfortable with heights as well as a spotter on the ground. It also requires some specialized equipment such as an extension ladder and stabilizer.
Some home maintenance jobs are easily tackled by the homeowner. However, the best way to clean your gutters might be to contact an expert for professional gutter cleaning services.
What Do Gutter Cleaning Services Include?
At Pro Roofing NW, our trusted roofing contractors have cleaned, maintained and repaired miles of gutters. Our gutter cleaning services are efficient and thorough.
You can count on us to:
- Remove all gutter debris
- Inspect your gutters and downspouts for damage, weak spots, and clogs
- Ensure that your gutters are securely attached
- Collect debris for disposal
Having the experts of Pro Roofing NW handle your gutter cleaning is also cost-effective. Unlike other home maintenance projects, the cost of gutter cleaning is reasonable, making it more than worth it to let us tackle the job while you remain safely on the ground.
Because we are roofing professionals, if we find that your gutters are in need of repair or replacement during your gutter cleaning, we’re able to provide information and pricing about gutter repair and gutter installation as well. We’re also happy to offer gutter cleaning as a standalone service or as part of your scheduled roof cleaning.
How Often Should You Clean Your Gutters?
The frequency at which you should clean your gutters depends on several factors, including the climate in your area, the surrounding vegetation, and the type of gutter guards or covers you may have in place.
Here are some general guidelines for how often you should clean your gutters:
- Twice a Year: In most regions, it's advisable to clean your gutters at least twice a year. The recommended times are typically in the spring and fall:
- Spring: Cleaning in the spring helps remove debris that has accumulated during the winter, such as leaves, twigs, and other debris that may have fallen from trees.
- Fall: Fall is a crucial time to clean gutters because leaves from deciduous trees tend to clog gutters as they shed. Clearing them out before winter prevents potential ice dams and water damage.
- Quarterly or More Frequent Cleanings: If you live in an area with a high amount of tree coverage, you may need to clean your gutters more often. In such cases, consider cleaning them every three months to ensure they remain clear and functional.
- After Heavy Storms or Wind: It's a good practice to inspect your gutters and clean them after severe storms or heavy winds, as these can deposit a significant amount of debris and cause blockages.
- Regular Maintenance: If you have gutter guards or covers in place, they can reduce the frequency of cleaning. However, they are not maintenance-free, and you should still inspect them periodically to ensure they are functioning properly. Some maintenance may be required even with guards in place.
- Visual Inspection: Regardless of a set cleaning schedule, it's wise to perform visual inspections of your gutters regularly. Look for signs of clogs, overflow, or sagging gutters. If you notice any of these issues, it's a sign that cleaning or repairs are needed.
Remember that neglecting gutter maintenance can lead to water damage, structural problems, and other costly issues.
Keeping your gutters clean and in good condition is an essential part of home maintenance.
If you are uncomfortable with heights or lack the necessary tools and experience, consider hiring a professional gutter cleaning service to ensure the job is done safely and effectively.
“Pro Roofing was excellent from start to finish.” - Anonymous